The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Investors at a Crossroads
February 21, 2017
Investors at the Crossroads Time to Choose Up Sides Early in my career, I worked for an Investment Strategist who identified a "theme" that drove our firm's investment direction. It was 1993, and this theme focused on the power of unleashing the human capital in the world's developing countries. This idea ultimately motivated me to launch the firm's first international fund, focused on emerging markets. This was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and to this day it shapes my world view: That people are people, from country to country. And all are seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Period. This same...Read Full Article...
When Sustainability Aligns with Business Objectives
August 30, 2016
At the Sustainability Interactive Conference in June of this year, one of the event's keynote speakers remarked about how a company's sustainability efforts must align with their broader business objectives in order for them to be truly effective. After all, these initiatives cost money, and their Return on Investment ensures their long term viability as a good use of shareholder funds. Random "good deeds" won't likely be viewed by investors as being consistent with a long term strategy. This week, we saw a fine example of such consistency in Coca Cola's annual sustainability report. The argument that Coca Cola is a water abuser is no longer a valid...Read Full Article...
July 27, 2014
"In business, sustainability means managing human and natural capital with the same vigor we apply to the management of financial capital. It means widening the scope of our awareness so we can understand fully the "true cost" of every choice we make." Ray C. Anderson -- CEO, Interface, on defining "sustainability" We can all read Ray Anderson's words above, appreciate his passion, and be inspired by his vision. But what if we aren't all visionaries like Ray? How can we create an authentic experience that reflects our passions in something as mundane as investing? Keep in mind that the carpet business isn't...Read Full Article...
Indexing competitive returns and a better social footprint
May 31, 2014
Fund managers have a bad rap. (I know. I managed one for seven years and played the quarterly "performance derby" just like the rest of them.) While there are certainly mutual fund managers who can outperform their benchmarks, as an industry, high costs often mean the average fund doesn't distinguish itself. And even the best managers find it nearly impossible to outperform on a consistent basis. Isn't this a self-fullfilling prophesy? I mean, how can a group of very smart people, competing within the same finite universe of investment opportunities, be better than average? It's just not mathematically possible for a group to...Read Full Article...
Finally... A 401k Plan with Social Impact Investments
May 14, 2013
401k plans are the yeomen of the investment world -- doing hard work behind the scenes with little fanfare or notice. In the best of circumstances, 401k's are practically invisible, tax-deferred and dull wealth builders. Of course, in some cases, these workhorses are neglected, improperly allocated or are poorly utilized... Their potential is wasted as they work in silence. Out of sight, out of mind... until someone decided to look under the hood... Plan participants have begun to scrutinize the holdings of their 401k mutual funds. Finding them "loaded to the gills" with the likes of BP, Halliburton, Wal-Mart and Exxon-Mobil, they are...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- 5 Steps to a Sustainable and Responsible Investment Program 08.03.12 Read...
- Finally... A 401k Plan with Social Impact Investments 05.14.13 Read...
- Indexing competitive returns and a better social footprint 05.31.14 Read...
- Think Different(ly) 07.27.14 Read...
- When Sustainability Aligns with Business Objectives 08.30.16 Read...
- Investors at a Crossroads 02.21.17 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter