The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Will politics de-rail the SRI train
November 20, 2016
For those who are closest to the sustainable business movement, the US elections and referendum results in the UK would seem to portend more difficult terrain going forward. And while progress on climate action will be far more challenging with the US on the sidelines, there are reasons to believe that the political environment is just one of many factors influencing the sustainability trend. Society leads politics -- Just not in a straight line While certain government actions in prior years may have jumpstarted aspects of sustainability, it's arguable that they merely reflected already present societal views. For instance, when polled, most US citizens would like to...Read Full Article...
Sustainable Investing and Wide Moats
July 26, 2016
Legendary investor Warren Buffett coined the term "economic moat" to describe companies that have highly defendable competitive advantages -- a brand reputation, economies of scale, patents and trademarks, and so on. These characteristics typically lead to higher returns on capital and more sustainable profit margins. Morningstar applied this principle to their investment research, creating two tiers of moats, "wide" ad "narrow", to reflect their expectation of the relative strength of these competitive advantages. (Even a narrow moat is a valuable characteristic -- just less so.) VanEck Funds recently licensed the research to create an Exchange Traded Fund (ETFs) of undervalued wide-moat firms who are based...Read Full Article...
NY Times: Investing to Make a Difference is Gaining Ground
September 01, 2014
By PAUL SULLIVAN, New York Times If there is a traditional path to becoming an impact investor, it is the one taken by David Keller, who made a lot of money at a young age and retired from Cisco Systems in his 40s in 2002. Mr. Keller got the idea of starting a family foundation and wondered if he could do more good by putting some of the foundation’s money in investments that would have a positive social impact. “With a modest family foundation, I knew I wasn’t going to change the world,” Mr. Keller, now 60, said. “The whole idea of...Read Full Article...
Divestment: Investors put their money where their mouth is.
March 11, 2014
“The looming choice may be either stranding those assets or stranding the planet.” OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurria The drumbeat for "divestment" continues to grow louder. And Boardwalk Capital is seeing new client demand for fossil-free portfolios. This movement isn't on the fringes any more... The problem for investors is complex but straightforward. Current global fossil fuel reserves, if extracted and burnt, would release far more greenhouse gas emissions than is compatible with meeting the internationally agreed limit of no more than two degrees of global warming. Defining risk. Aligning values: Investors around the world, from non-profits to universities, from individuals to governments, are starting...Read Full Article...
Buy Green. Sell Stranded.
January 21, 2014
Buy Green. Sell Stranded. Even Wall Street is worried about climate change. By Tim McDonnell One of the hard truths about climate change solutions—whether they’re solar panels, protective sea walls, or carbon-sucking golf balls—is that somebody has to pay for them. This week the United Nations’ climate chief, Christiana Figueres, told Climate Desk that global investment in clean-energy technologies needs to reach $1 trillion per year by 2030 (a little less than the gross domestic product of South Korea), roughly tripling where we’re at now, to keep global warming within the limit agreed on by international climate negotiators. So when more than 500 investors who hold the strings on...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability 01.18.12 Read...
- A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk 01.15.12 Read...
- 15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit 02.17.12 Read...
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Energy Efficiency: The One Trillion Dollar Answer 03.01.12 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter