The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Weird, no more. Five reasons why sustainable investing became mainstream.
June 09, 2013
This year, the number of “social investors” passed an important milestone: A full one out of nine investment dollars under professional management now has a “responsible” mandate. (That totals more than $3.7 trillion dollars.) Chalk it up to social media tools like Facebook and Twitter, of course, but just as the population increasingly shops with a conscience, they have begun to invest consciously, too. From Bangladeshi factories to low wage Wal-Mart workers on public assistance, fast-spreading news means that investors are less likely to be passive bystanders. We see at least five identifiable reasons why Sustainable and Responsible Investing (SRI) has gained...Read Full Article...
Thoughts from Sustainability Interactive -- It's about the bottom line
November 17, 2012
What is "Green" to the orange-aproned folks at The Home Depot or the Brown™ team (yes, capitalized) of UPS? Last month, senior sustainability officers from nearly a dozen companies and universities assembled in Atlanta to meet with local business owners to the discuss best sustainability practices. The event, Sustainability Interactive!, was presented by the Green Chamber of the South, and topics discussed were green alright, but not always in the environmental sense. Boardwalk Capital sponsored this event, and I was happy to recruit the sustainability officers and coordinate a fabulous evening. They were eager to participate in this unique face-to-face gathering, and we...Read Full Article...
Dispelling Myths about Sustainable Investing
October 01, 2012
Responsible investing comes in many names and forms: Sustainable, green, ethical, responsible, social... So, it is perhaps not surprising that the public remains confused as to its effectiveness in building wealth over the long term. This article will separate misconception from reality, and show that SRI deserves consideration by serious investors. MYTH 1: Performance has been lousy. FALSE! There is no performance difference between social and traditional funds. Extensive research on social funds shows that performance is substantially the same. Studies published in the Financial Analyst Journal and by other groups have proved the point that SRI funds should be viewed...Read Full Article...
New Climate Action May Impact Dividend Growth
June 29, 2012
Out-of-control firestorms in Colorado and 100-degree heat index in the nation's capital served as an apt backdrop for an important court ruling on climate risk. Earlier this week, the U.S. The three-judge panel unanimously agreed with the Environmental Protection Agency's finding that carbon dioxide is a...Read Full Article...
Managing the Unmeasurable -- Where are My Risks?
June 28, 2012
Investors for decades have equated risk with volatility. But as we learned in the most recent economic crisis of 2008-09, external factors can wreak havoc on portfolios. So, what do we investors do with our new found concern over risk? If the past is any guide, we dutifully build our concern over those now to protect from those risks? There is a new school of thought called Integrated Risk analysis that refuses to ignore risks...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- 15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit 02.17.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- My Sustainability Talk with Corporate America 04.21.12 Read...
- Wanna See What "Serious About Sustainability" Looks Like? 05.15.12 Read...
- Managing the Unmeasurable -- Where are My Risks? 06.28.12 Read...
- New Climate Action May Impact Dividend Growth 06.29.12 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter