The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
US Stocks: Where are we now?
December 01, 2013
With the Dow Industrials and S&P500 making all time highs, and with the NASDAQ at a 13-year high, investors are right to question whether or not this bull market "still has legs". Perhaps it's not so surprising that Wall Street strategists and fund managers are divided on the outlook. Below, we summarize some thoughts from noteworthy commentators, while adding our own observations. Keep this fact in mind: It's the valution of the market that matters. Not the index level. Since 1900, the S&P 500 Index has been within 5% of its prior peak almost half the time. We're always wondering if the...Read Full Article...
VIDEO : The Truth Behind Sustainable Investing
December 01, 2013
Robeco SAM recenly published an informative video that defines sustainable investing in plain English while debunking many misconceptions.Read Full Article...
A New Ranking Tool on BoardwalkCM.com
August 30, 2013
Earlier this month, we added a new tool to the BoardwalkCM.com website. This tool permits any investor to score their portfolio companies on a range of sustainability factors. All they need to do is type in the company name. This new tool is powered by CSRHub, the world's largest database of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) data. CSRHub draws on more than 270 data sources to rank more than 7400 companies across 135 industries in 96 countries. Investors are now empowered to compare companies on environmental, social and governance factors. And while this isn't the entire picture, by any means, it sure...Read Full Article...
Social Responsiblity and Brand Value
May 24, 2013
Investors may stubbornly choose not acknowledge it, but consumers are already rewarding companies whose brands are perceived as valuable to society, and to themselves. And the other brands? Well, they could disappear tomorrow and few tears would be shed. If that doesn't make some executives nervous, I don't know what would. A full 70% of brands were labeled as "expendable" by the consumers polled. These consumer attitudes are the findings of the research firm, Havas Media. Companies who score highly on the Meaningful Brands Index are contributing to both "collective wellbeing" (good for society) and "individual wellbeing" (good for me). Among the "collective wellbeing" attributes found...Read Full Article...
First Quarter Review and Outlook
April 21, 2013
U.S. stocks posted robust gains in the first quarter, with large caps returning 11 percent, beating both developed international (+4%) and emerging markets stocks (-4%). Bonds were lackluster, posting flat total returns as modest coupon interest was offest by a small increase in market interest rates (causing a drop in values). In 2012 and early 2013, an accommodative Federal Reserve combined with an improving U.S. economy to push domestic shares higher. While unemployment is falling only slowly, construction fundamentals have rebounded sharply. Home prices have been rising, and corporate earnings and profitability are near record highs. This was a good recipe for stocks, but caused a little consternation...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk 01.15.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Wanna See What "Serious About Sustainability" Looks Like? 05.15.12 Read...
- Are We Near the End for Bonds? 08.24.12 Read...
- Thoughts from Sustainability Interactive -- It's about the bottom line 11.17.12 Read...
- First Quarter Review and Outlook 04.21.13 Read...
- Social Responsiblity and Brand Value 05.24.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter