The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Investors at a Crossroads
February 21, 2017
Investors at the Crossroads Time to Choose Up Sides Early in my career, I worked for an Investment Strategist who identified a "theme" that drove our firm's investment direction. It was 1993, and this theme focused on the power of unleashing the human capital in the world's developing countries. This idea ultimately motivated me to launch the firm's first international fund, focused on emerging markets. This was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and to this day it shapes my world view: That people are people, from country to country. And all are seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Period. This same...Read Full Article...
Will politics de-rail the SRI train
November 20, 2016
For those who are closest to the sustainable business movement, the US elections and referendum results in the UK would seem to portend more difficult terrain going forward. And while progress on climate action will be far more challenging with the US on the sidelines, there are reasons to believe that the political environment is just one of many factors influencing the sustainability trend. Society leads politics -- Just not in a straight line While certain government actions in prior years may have jumpstarted aspects of sustainability, it's arguable that they merely reflected already present societal views. For instance, when polled, most US citizens would like to...Read Full Article...
When Sustainability Aligns with Business Objectives
August 30, 2016
At the Sustainability Interactive Conference in June of this year, one of the event's keynote speakers remarked about how a company's sustainability efforts must align with their broader business objectives in order for them to be truly effective. After all, these initiatives cost money, and their Return on Investment ensures their long term viability as a good use of shareholder funds. Random "good deeds" won't likely be viewed by investors as being consistent with a long term strategy. This week, we saw a fine example of such consistency in Coca Cola's annual sustainability report. The argument that Coca Cola is a water abuser is no longer a valid...Read Full Article...
Sustainable Investing and Wide Moats
July 26, 2016
Legendary investor Warren Buffett coined the term "economic moat" to describe companies that have highly defendable competitive advantages -- a brand reputation, economies of scale, patents and trademarks, and so on. These characteristics typically lead to higher returns on capital and more sustainable profit margins. Morningstar applied this principle to their investment research, creating two tiers of moats, "wide" ad "narrow", to reflect their expectation of the relative strength of these competitive advantages. (Even a narrow moat is a valuable characteristic -- just less so.) VanEck Funds recently licensed the research to create an Exchange Traded Fund (ETFs) of undervalued wide-moat firms who are based...Read Full Article...
Another Showcase of Why Sustainability Matters
June 15, 2016
On Monday evening, Boardwalk Capital Management teamed up with the Green Chamber of the South for the Fourth Annual Sustainability Interactive conference in Atlanta, Georgia. Dozens of corporate, collegiate and governmental sustainability officers where present, sharing their most recent initiatives with well over 100 other attendees. We were delighted to welcome sustainability experts from across the region. All who were present were treated to stimulating presentations by two of the most accomplished professionals in sustainability: Bill Strang, President of Operations for TOTO Americas and Jim Hartzfeld, presently consulting with the UN Global Compact and the former VP of Sustainable Strategy for Interface,...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability 01.18.12 Read...
- Vanguard's John Bogle -- At It Again... "A Tax Break for Gambling?" 02.17.12 Read...
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Energy Efficiency: The One Trillion Dollar Answer 03.01.12 Read...
- Impact Investing: The Trillion Dollar Investment Opportunity 03.25.12 Read...
- Why the World's Largest Investors are Embracing Sustainable and Responsible Investing 03.22.12 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter