The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit
February 17, 2012
In a recent letter to Congress, fifteen of the country's largest consumers of alternative energy, including Starbucks, Yahoo! and Campbell's Soup, voiced their support for renewing the Production Tax Credit, (PTC) set to expire in December 2012. The letter states that the "PTC has enabled the industry to slash wind energy costs by some 90% since 1980..." Forbes magazine states that wind now supplies over 3% of US demand and accounts for 35% of new power capacity installed in the last four years. In the seven years that the PTC has been continuously in place, installed wind capacity has grown...Read Full Article...
Apple Takes It Up a Notch
February 14, 2012
Investor and consumer pressure can move mountains. Finally, Apple has agreed to take a hard look at the working conditions in its factories around the world. Apple Inc., now the world's largest company by market value, has dazzled consumers by essentially reinventing how we buy music, how we use our phones and how we access the web. The company has similarly dazzled investors with a share price that seems impervious to global economic challenges and bear markets. For responsible investors, Apple has been a conundrum: Environmentally conscious but practically devoid of philanthropic activity. Meticulously managed by a visionary leader but with...Read Full Article...
The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability
January 18, 2012
If investors needed proof of the financial value from sustainability -- it's here. Researchers at the Harvard Business School reviewed 18 years of data on more than 700 companies. Their findings were remarkable. "High sustainability" companies have not only been more profitable than their less responsible peers, their shares have performed significantly better. The numbers are impressive. One dollar invested in the most sustainable companies in 1993 was worth $22.60 by the end of 2010. The low sustainability group was worth "just" $15.40. "This finding suggests that companies can adopt environmentally and socially responsible policies without sacrificing shareholder wealth creation,â€ the...Read Full Article...
A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk
January 15, 2012
On January 12, 2012, Boardwalk Capital joined nearly 500 of the worldâ€™s investors and most powerful financial players at the United Nations. Collectively, more than $20 trillion in assets were present, united by a desire to catalyze the large-scale investment needed to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate potentially catastrophic climate impacts. This was the fourth Investor Summit on Climate Risk and Energy Solutions. Particularly interesting were the opportunities presented in financing energy infrastructure and low carbon equity management that were supported by some of the world's largest pension plans -- CalPERS, British Telecom and California Teachers along with State Treasurers from...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Apple Takes It Up a Notch 02.14.12 Read...
- The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability 01.18.12 Read...
- A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk 01.15.12 Read...
- Vanguard's John Bogle -- At It Again... "A Tax Break for Gambling?" 02.17.12 Read...
- 15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit 02.17.12 Read...
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter