The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Thoughts from Sustainability Interactive -- It's about the bottom line
November 17, 2012
What is "Green" to the orange-aproned folks at The Home Depot or the Brown™ team (yes, capitalized) of UPS? Last month, senior sustainability officers from nearly a dozen companies and universities assembled in Atlanta to meet with local business owners to the discuss best sustainability practices. The event, Sustainability Interactive!, was presented by the Green Chamber of the South, and topics discussed were green alright, but not always in the environmental sense. Boardwalk Capital sponsored this event, and I was happy to recruit the sustainability officers and coordinate a fabulous evening. They were eager to participate in this unique face-to-face gathering, and we...Read Full Article...
Are We Near the End for Bonds?
August 24, 2012
The Barclays Aggregate Bond Index has posted twelve consecutive years of positive returns. We ask: Is this unusual? What should one expect for the coming decade? It has been a long and not-so-winding road. The legacy of inflation-ravaged bond prices from the 1970’s was tough to overcome, but when inflation’s back was finally broken in the late 80’s, investor inflation expectations began to moderate. And we were off to the races. Mortgage rates averaged more than 10% though the 80’s. Young borrowers such as my wife and I could only gripe about the 3% mortgage rates that our parents crowed about from...Read Full Article...
Wanna See What "Serious About Sustainability" Looks Like?
May 15, 2012
If you are a company who wants to do business with the big guys, you often to have do it their way. Today, that can mean doing business sustainably. Large companies are held accountable for the impact of their suppliers. So, those suppliers must play by the new rules of the game. It just got serious. As a sustainable investor, you may feel good knowing that your portfolio companies are moving the needle on environmental ...Read Full Article...
Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank
February 28, 2012
One never knows where they will find evidence of good corporate citizenship, operational excellence and environmental stewardship. This time, it's the lawyers... Law.com/Corporate Counsel magazine recently interviewed several corporate attorneys at Intel, revealing much about the depth and breadth of the sustainability programs at the world's largest manufacturer of semiconductor chips. For starters, the firm has invested more than $45 million in more than 1,500 energy efficiency and resource conservation projects since 2001. These efforts have saved more than 790 million kilowatt hours of energy, reducing energy costs by an average of approximately $23 million per year. Not a bad...Read Full Article...
A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk
January 15, 2012
On January 12, 2012, Boardwalk Capital joined nearly 500 of the worldâ€™s investors and most powerful financial players at the United Nations. Collectively, more than $20 trillion in assets were present, united by a desire to catalyze the large-scale investment needed to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate potentially catastrophic climate impacts. This was the fourth Investor Summit on Climate Risk and Energy Solutions. Particularly interesting were the opportunities presented in financing energy infrastructure and low carbon equity management that were supported by some of the world's largest pension plans -- CalPERS, British Telecom and California Teachers along with State Treasurers from...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk 01.15.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Wanna See What "Serious About Sustainability" Looks Like? 05.15.12 Read...
- Are We Near the End for Bonds? 08.24.12 Read...
- Thoughts from Sustainability Interactive -- It's about the bottom line 11.17.12 Read...
- First Quarter Review and Outlook 04.21.13 Read...
- Social Responsiblity and Brand Value 05.24.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter