The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not)
March 15, 2012
Without question, some companies stand to be harmed by climate change, while others could benefit from new opportunities. Still others are merely afraid to be impacted by regulation. However, no company is untouched by this issue that investors increasingly study... In the cross hairs: Insurance companies are vivid examples of companies who have much to lose from the more frequent storms and coastal flooding that is already starting to be felt. Some of the earliest adopters of low-carbon policies were reinsurance firms such as Munich Re and Swiss Re. Needless to say, these firms will raise their rates when claims escalate -- Which means we will all ultimately...Read Full Article...
Energy Efficiency: The One Trillion Dollar Answer
March 01, 2012
Buildings account for nearly half of US energy consumption, consume 3/4 of the electricity and, excluding residential, are responsible for more than 45 percent of carbon emissions. The EPA suggests that some 30% of this energy is wasted. New research from the Rockefeller Foundation ...Read Full Article...
Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit
February 18, 2012
For some time now, we have been hearing a politically-charged and nonsensical debate in Washington over new standards for light bulb efficiency. These standards while new, completely follow past precident to advance the industry and improve efficiency while giving manufacturers clarity from which to make investment decisions. Less interesting to many, but more impactful to companies and to society, are the efficiency gains that are being realized every day through lighting retrofits. The cost savings are often staggering. Kenco, a Chattanooga-based logistics and warehouse operator, recently disclosed a sizable project to replace lighting in two of its warehouses in Tennessee....Read Full Article...
Vanguard's John Bogle -- At It Again... "A Tax Break for Gambling?"
February 17, 2012
John Bogle, the esteemed founder of the Vanguard Group, has probably done more to save investors money than any individual on the planet. So when he advocates raising taxes, folks tend to notice. His core philosophy has always been at odds with the investment management industry -- identifying that most active managers fail to beat their benchmarks, net of fees. His relentless pressure on the industry to lower fees has not made him many friends, so his most recent remarks should come as no surprise. In a recent interview with Bloomberg Television, Mr. Vogle argued for capital gains to be...Read Full Article...
The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability
January 18, 2012
If investors needed proof of the financial value from sustainability -- it's here. Researchers at the Harvard Business School reviewed 18 years of data on more than 700 companies. Their findings were remarkable. "High sustainability" companies have not only been more profitable than their less responsible peers, their shares have performed significantly better. The numbers are impressive. One dollar invested in the most sustainable companies in 1993 was worth $22.60 by the end of 2010. The low sustainability group was worth "just" $15.40. "This finding suggests that companies can adopt environmentally and socially responsible policies without sacrificing shareholder wealth creation,â€ the...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability 01.18.12 Read...
- Vanguard's John Bogle -- At It Again... "A Tax Break for Gambling?" 02.17.12 Read...
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Energy Efficiency: The One Trillion Dollar Answer 03.01.12 Read...
- Impact Investing: The Trillion Dollar Investment Opportunity 03.25.12 Read...
- Why the World's Largest Investors are Embracing Sustainable and Responsible Investing 03.22.12 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter